Purpose of Document
This document is about a new plan for the renovation of the new premises for Moving In Ltd. The document outlines the activities that are to be carried out together with their timelines. The plan is in place to ensure that smooth transition takes place. However, there are some risks and challenges that threaten the smooth completion and transition exercise for the organization. The document outlines the various issues that could of challenge to the development of the new project.
Moving In Ltd is a charity organization that operates in an old small premise. The organization assists homeless people who are aged between the ages of 16-25 years and are homeless to acquire and move into new house. The organization has grown and it wants to relocate from its current premises. Now that the organization has grown, it would like to increase its business and move into premises that can be accessible by the disabled people. A management board has been put in place to ensure that the transition into the new premises is smooth (Middleton, 2006).
The objectives are:
- Set out a plan for the development of new premises for the organization.
- To investigate the various risks that threatens the completion of the project in time. More over, the document provides probable measures to deal with risks.
Defined Method of Approach
The project will be managed using the PRINCE2 methodology.
This project will highlight the new project and procedure of activities that re to be carried out. The plan gives a chronology of events from the beginning to the end with their respective timelines. In addition, risks that can affect negatively the completion of the renovation and the eventual move to the premises. Additionally, highlighted are possible risk management measures given. Therefore, it will be a very useful document to the project manager and the management team (Lock, 2007).
Project Deliverables and/or Desired Outcomes
The project deliverables are:
- A new premise to the organization that is spacious enough for the company that is increase in size.
- A new premise comprising of buildings and other facilities of the organization that are easily accessible by all people including the disabled.
The main constraints are:
Risks of resources, time, escalation of costs and proper management. Moving In Ltd may delay occupying the new premises if resources required in developing the premises lack. More over, with lack of coordination and communication during project implementation, the project may take a lot of time to complete and it may use many resources.
Links to Other Projects
This project is similar to other projects. The similarity is in every aspect that a project can poses. All the prerequisites of a project like the project title, the down payment of the required amount, contact address, a finalized business plan, company profile and many others all apply to this project. More over, this project is also exposed to the risks that other projects are exposed to. Therefore, despite the uniqueness of the firm that wants to use the new premise, the project is no different form the rest (Newton, 2009).
Project Organisation Structure
Project Team Structure
A Project Board has been set up to manage the project and it’s composition is:
|A project team||Make decisions on important issues affecting teh project|
|Project manager||Manage the project|
|Project executive committee||Oversee expenditures in the project|
|Project sponsor||Act as a facilitator|
A Project Team has been set up to perform operational tasks and it’s composition is:
|Please insert names||Project sponsor|
|Project office manager|
|Project team leader|
|Organizational change manager (facilitator)|
The roles and responsibilities of the members of the project are as follows:
- The major role is to oversee the implementation of a project form the beginning to the end. They assist the project manager.
Specific roles differ from one project to another. However, in this case, the project board will:
- Make budgetary allocations for the project.
Project Executive (Project Sponsor):
- His major task is to act as an interface between the project owners and the deliverers or the contractors of the project. Acting in collaboration with the project manager, he represents the client organization in the management of the project (Kerzner, H., 2009).
- Making sure that an appropriate project or program management framework is in place.
- Preparation of briefing sessions in the course of project implementation.
- Making project appraisals and presenting them for approval.
- Securing resources and expertise from the client organization as required.
- Ensuring that there is coordination within the whole project management process
- Controlling changes following approval
- Determine and manage risks to the project
- Manage the project budget (including risk allowance)
- Acting as sole point of contact with project management
- To facilitate the project ensuring that the project is completed on time, within the budget limit and set requirements.
- Organizing and carrying out meetings; planning the schedule
- Finding the necessary resources, vetting vendors, conducting interviews, and assigning tasks
- Working out a plan, implementing the plan, and adjusting it if necessary
- Drawing up status reports and presenting them to senior management
The purpose of this document is to provide a plan that will enable the completion of the new premise for occupation. It also informs the project manager the risks that he is likely to encounter while implementing the plan and possible risk management procedures (Burke, 2003).
It is important to control a project in order to ensure that it is completed in time, within the resource limit and costs limit. Tools that can be very effective in controlling a project are communication and risk management. Others are identification and analysis of costs involved in the project and attenuation (Office of Government Commerce, 2005).
Initial Business Case
Initial Project Plan
The initial key project milestones are in the following table:-
|Supply Lot Sale Agreement||0.00d||7/5/10||7/5/10|
|Supply Construction Agreement||0.00d||7/5/10||7/5/10|
|Supply Contract Plans||0.00d||7/5/10||7/5/10|
|Supply Contract Specifications||0.00d||7/5/10||7/5/10|
|Supply Contract Site Plan||0.00d||7/5/10||7/5/10|
|repairs Loan Settlement||0.00d||7/5/10||7/5/10|
|Document Review & Revision||25.00d||7/5/10||7/9/10|
|Review & Finalize Plans||15.00d||7/5/10||7/25/10|
|Review & Finalize Specifications||20.00d||7/5/10||7/2/10|
|Review & Finalize Site Plan||1.00d||7/26/10||7/26/10|
|Print Construction Drawings||5.00d||7/3/10||7/9/10|
|Approve Revised Plans||0.00d||7/9/10||7/9/10|
|Approve Revised Specifications||0.00d||7/9/10||7/9/10|
|Approve Revised Site Plan||0.00d||7/9/10||7/9/10|
|Bids & Contracts||24.00d||7/10/10||8/12/10|
|Make Copies of Plans||3.00d||7/10/10||7/14/10|
|Make Copies of Specifications||2.00d||7/10/10||7/11/10|
|Distribute Plans & Specifications||1.00d||7/15/10||7/15/10|
|Execute Subcontractor Agreements||5.00d||8/6/10||8/12/10|
|Grading & Building Permits||17.00d||7/10/10||8/1/10|
|Schedule lot stake-out||1.00d||7/10/10||7/10/10|
|File Grading Permit Application||1.00d||7/10/10||7/10/10|
|File Building Permit Application||3.00d||7/10/10||7/14/10|
|Post Lot Identification||1.00d||7/17/10||7/17/10|
|Sediment Control Insp.||1.00d||7/24/10||7/24/10|
|Grading Permit Issued||1.00d||7/25/10||7/25/10|
|County Permit Process||10.00d||7/15/10||7/28/10|
|Repairs and renovation Permit Approved||1.00d||7/29/10||7/29/10|
|Repairs and renovation Permit Issued||0.00d||8/1/10||8/1/10|
|Stake Lot for Excavation||1.00d||7/31/10||7/31/10|
|Rough grade lot||1.00d||8/1/10||8/1/10|
|Stock Block, Mortar, Sand||1.00d||8/12/10||8/12/10|
|Fill Block Cores w/ Concrete||1.00d||9/3/10||9/3/10|
|Set Lintels, Bolts, Cap Block||2.00d||9/5/10||9/8/10|
|1st Floor Deck Framing||4.00d||9/10/10||9/15/10|
|1st Floor Wall Framing||4.00d||9/16/10||9/19/10|
|Draw #2 (First Floor Deck)||0.00d||9/19/10||9/19/10|
|2nd Floor Deck repairs||2.00d||9/22/10||9/23/10|
|Draw #3 (Second Floor Deck)||0.00d||9/23/10||9/23/10|
|2nd Floor Wall repairs||3.00d||9/24/10||9/26/10|
|repair Roof Plywood||5.00d||10/10/10||10/16/10|
|repair Windows & Doors||2.00d||10/22/10||10/23/10|
|Frame Basement Bulkheads||2.00d||11/6/10||11/7/10|
|HVAC Set Indoor Units||2.00d||10/29/10||10/30/10|
|HVAC Temporary Heat||2.00d||10/31/10||11/3/10|
|County Plumbing Sub-slab Inspection||0.00d||9/17/10||9/17/10|
|County Plumbing Rough-in Inspection||0.00d||11/5/10||11/5/10|
|repair Electric Boxes||2.00d||10/24/10||10/27/10|
|repair Electric Service Panel||2.00d||10/28/10||10/29/10|
|Alarm System Rough-in||5.00d||11/20/10||11/26/10|
|Telephone System Rough-in inspection and repairs||5.00d||11/20/10||11/26/10|
|Television System Rough-in inspection and repairs||5.00d||11/20/10||11/26/10|
|County Electrical inspection||0.00d||11/26/10||11/26/10|
|Roofing Paper Installed repairs||3.00d||10/17/10||10/21/10|
|Roof, windows, doors||0.00d||10/23/10||10/23/10|
|Stock Roof Shingles||1.00d||10/24/10||10/24/10|
|Install Roof Shingles||7.00d||1/12/09||1/20/09|
|Brick Arch Forms||1.00d||11/7/10||11/7/10|
|Caulk & Air Seal||1.00d||11/28/10||11/28/10|
|Draft & Fire Stop||1.00d||12/1/10||12/1/10|
|County Insulation Inspection||0.00d||12/4/10||12/4/10|
|Remove Scrap Drywall||1.00d||12/15/10||12/15/10|
|Tape and Finish Drywall repairs||15.00d||12/16/10||1/5/09|
Project risk management process
- Burke, R., 2003. Project Management: Planning and Control Techniques. New Jersy: Wiley & Sons. U.S
- Kerzner, H., 2009. Project Management: A systems approach to planning, scheduling and controlling. New Jersey: Wiley & Sons. United States.
- Lock, D., 2007. Project Management. Aldershot: Gower. UK
- Middleton, J., 2006. Guide to Managing Grant Funded Projects. London: Middlesex University Press. UK.
- Newton, R., 2009. Project Manager: Mastering the art of delivery in Project Management. 2nd Ed. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. United States.
- Nokes, S., & Kelly, S., 2007. The Definitive Guide to Project Management. New Jersey: Prentice Hall. U.S.
- Office of Government Commerce, 2005. Managing Successful Projects with Prince 2. TSO.